As an editor of a poetry magazine, I have read thousands of poems in my nineteen years on the job, and not all of them are worth even the time it takes to read them. But then, there are these. These are the poems that changed my days, my ways, my life, or my mind.

3.19.2012

The Rosebud by Jason Fisk

I hadn’t seen you
since the day you told
me you were pregnant,
in that cafe.  It was
a September day,
filled with a cold fall rain.
I remember thinking
that I could smell the rain
on people as they passed our table.
There was an unopened
rosebud in a simple
glass vase on our table.
What am I going to do?
You asked
over and over.

Today we stood in the aisle
between the cards
and the candles
at Target, small talk
our armor.  I looked
at your empty belly.
You pulled your jacket closed.
“Well, it sure is good to see you,
we’ll have to get together sometime,”
you lied.  I wanted to tell you
that I had learned
in a poem
that the Japanese
prefer the rose bud
to the rose blossom,
but how do you fit
that into conversation?




----------
[first read in his chapbook The Sagging: Spirits & Skin; used with permission from Propaganda Press]

No comments:

Post a Comment