As an editor of a poetry magazine, I have read thousands of poems in my nineteen years on the job, and not all of them are worth even the time it takes to read them. But then, there are these. These are the poems that changed my days, my ways, my life, or my mind.

3.18.2012

I Love You by Sara Teasdale

When April bends above me
And finds me fast asleep, 
Dust need not keep the secret 
A live heart died to keep. 

When April tells the thrushes, 
The meadow-larks will know, 
And pipe the three words lightly 
To all the winds that blow. 

Above his roof the swallows, 
In notes like far-blown rain, 
Will tell the little sparrow 
Beside his window-pane. 

O sparrow, little sparrow, 
When I am fast asleep, 
Then tell my love the secret 
That I have died to keep.



----------
[poem in the public domain]

No comments:

Post a Comment